AOL Spam Filter Settings – AOL Mail, which is also referred to as AIM Mail (AOL Instant Messenger), is a free web-based email service provided on mail.aol.com for sending and receiving messages with other AOL Mail users. It is very easy to create AOL Mail account with a new email address and password and use it for sharing information with other AOL Mail users.
Due to millions of inactive users grabbing hold of usernames and other new users facing difficulty to come up with more creative and memorable usernames, it’s a norm of AOL mail that, if an AOL Mail account is inactive for 90 days, it may become deactivated. After this, emails sent to it may not be delivered or returned to the sender. And after 180 days of inactivity, your AOL Mail account will be deleted.
Email spams/junk emails are unsolicited messages sent in bulk by email. These are commercial sometimes. Irrespective of its source, they contain disguised links that appear as normal websites but in fact lead to phishing sites hosting malware. Spam messages also include malware as scripts or executable file attachments (trojans). Spammers collect email addresses from websites, customer lists, newsgroups, chat rooms and viruses that harvest user’s’ address books. They use it for marketing or deceiving people into a false lottery scheme to pull out money from them.
In your mail.aol.com, can control spam emails bombardment in your email account by blocking the particular email ID or by creating a filter.
How To Modify AOL Spam Filter Settings?
AOL Spam Filter Settings
Blocking Suspicious emails
Many websites keep sending multiple spam messages in your mail.aol.com account which can be very annoying and harmful for you. Even though you have created a spam filter for an email address, some spam emails slip through it. For this, you can block or mark these email address as spam.
Mark as spam – AOL Spam Filter Settings
Once you mark certain email ID as spam, all future messages from this sender will go to spam folder directly.
- Go to your mail.aol.com.
- Sign in to your account.
- Select the spam message.
- At top of the page, click Spam.
Mark as not spam – AOL Spam Filter Settings
If you have had trouble getting new emails, it is better you lower your Spam Filter to Low or Off because sometimes non-spam messages also get blocked on AOL Mail.
- Click Not Spam icon from the top of the Spam Folder in Spam Settings.
Create a Spam Filter
- Click Options I Mail Settings under your Username.
- Click Filters and Alerts tab.
- Click Create Filter.
- Enter the name of Filter and the email address that you want to block or mark as spam.
- Click Plus + icon.
- Click Save Settings to save the changes.
To remove an address from the spam filter, hover over the email address and click X.
Blocking images and links in emails – AOL Spam Filter Settings
Disabling links and images from unknown senders can protect you from unknowingly downloading any virus or malware directed to your mail.aol.com account.
- Click Options I Mail Settings under your username.
- Click General tab.
- Go to the Reading section and select the following:
- Hide images in mail from unknown senders
- Disable links in mail from unknown senders
- Click to Save Settings.
I hope this article helps you and solves your problem. However, in case you have any query, you can go to help.aol.com and read more.
If you are still facing the problem, you can contact AOL support.
FAQ – Mail.AOL.com
- How to create spam filter on AOL Mail?
- How to change AOL Spam Filter Settings?
- Why do I keep getting spam messages on my AOL mail account?
- How can I mark an email as “Not a Spam’ in AOL Mail?
- How to block images and links from unknown senders on my AOL account?
- Why am I not getting non-spam messages too in my AOL mail?